An Oniony Creamy Thing or Two

 
June 28, 2015
 
 
I had half a package of Boursin cheese left from a party, but I didn't want to eat it just plain.
 
I turned the oven to 400 degrees. Then I sliced and cooked (covered) two large onions in olive oil over medium-low heat. You could use butter if you prefer. It's important to use a skillet that can go into the oven (i.e., no wooden handles). After five or six minutes I removed the skillet from the heat and stirred in the Boursin, which of course became melt-y.
 
While the onions were cooking I beat an egg with half a cup of milk and ¾ cup of grated Parmesan. This I poured over the slightly cooled onion mixture and stuck the skillet in the oven for fifteen minutes. It was delicious.
 
Since I was the only one home to eat it, however, there were leftovers. SO, the next day:
 
I heated the oven to 350 degrees. I divided the leftover onion mixture between two ramekins. On top of each I slid a raw egg (out of the shell, of course), which I topped with a few breadcrumbs* mixed with olive oil (I could have used melted butter). I baked the ramekins for 20 minutes (but I started checking for egg doneness at 15 minutes, because you never know). You can reduce the cooking time by having your egg(s) at room temperature before you crack them. (You can achieve this quickly by putting them in a small bowl of hot water for five or ten minutes.)
 
Both of these dishes were VERY satisfying! But the point of telling you about them is to remind you to use what you have. The Boursin was the starting point for me. I could have used any soft white cheese, even cream cheese, adding some dried herbs (thyme, basil) for flavour. For more excitement I could have added a couple dashes of Sriracha or chipotle sauce, or a spoonful of chutney, or Mexican salsa.
 
Improvising in the kitchen is even more fun than improvising at the piano because you get to eat the results!
 
*Make your own crumbs, of course, from any leftover bread, then store them in the freezer for future use. Waste not, want not.
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts